Saturday, November 29, 2008

For My Grandfather, Wilson C. Skeet

For My Grandfather Wilson C. Skeet

It has been one year since the passing of Wilson C. Skeet, and everyday since I have celebrated his life. It is hard to lose an elder, like watching a library fall to pieces. It has also been the first year that I have not been able to consult him on numerous papers and projects regarding the past, present, and future of the Navajo Nation. The year has passed without consultation, and having to construct possibilities of the future while maintaining a personal reflection of the past. At first I would think at how terrible a loss it was, and how there were bits of history I wish I knew, or I wish I had asked about, but then I remembered that our lives are not stagnant. Our tradition and our culture is alive, and rooted in us, and we will be able to progress as a Nation while maintaining those ties. Wilson Skeet propelled the Navajo Nation forward in economic, educational, and environmental development during a time where tribes were struggling to maintain sovereignty. Those times were not stagnant.
Even though I cannot talk with him, I know that his legacy still lives within me, and within all of us. We can see it in ourselves when we make decisions that are good for the Nation and that will improve the quality of life for everybody. When we make strides towards economic independence and when we take action to protect the land that the Holy People placed us on. I always loved and respected my grandfather, and he always respected me, despite my age. There are plenty of young Diné leaders and we are blessed to have many students going off to college and receiving an education. He had faith in the younger generation and he trusted us. He knew that one day we would change the Navajo Nation.
This last year has taught how to be a better leader, to make better decisions, and to remember the legacy of leaders before us. There are many moments when I wonder what decisions Narbona, or Manuelito would have made. Or what they would have wanted me to do to serve my people. It is very easy to be caught up in politics, or in feuds, or in arguments. It is very easy to fall into phases of distrust because of age, of money, of jobs, or of family relations. But I have faith, as we all should. He taught me that faith is hard, that hope is hard, but that we can move on as a Nation. I will always be thankful for that strength and that knowledge that can transcend lifetimes. Ahe'hee shi chei.


Stefanie Tsosie
Granddaughter of Wilson C. Skeet
Baahaali, New Mexico

No comments: