Monday, October 27, 2008

A Letter for My Grandfather

I heard while I was in a city that my grandfather had great influence. I was in a city of unfamiliarity and covered in concrete but it was crawling with power. Washington DC is a place where worldly decisions are made. Decisions to help or destroy one another; decisions that control our future as a nation, and as individuals. I had never been there before, but my grandfather had many times. My sister was born while he was attending the Presidential Inauguration of Jimmy Carter.
I considered my grandfather more than a grandfather, he was a great man, a great leader, a Code Talker, a nation builder, a Navajo Nation council delegate, a Vice Chairman, a rancher, a farmer, and a founding father of the Navajo Nation. I went to him for advice on everything. That morning I had intended on visitng the Library of Congress, one of the largest book collections in the world, and supposedly one of the most beautiful. I never made it. I had also wanted to see the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian. I never made it. I came home and while waiting at the airport I saw a few Indians of different tribes waiting for flights. They were coming from meetings and hearings and panels that protected Indian Country, just as my grandfather had done. While I was sitting there a friend sent me a message saying "Chei's in a better place. Home. It's like libraries burning when elers pass." That struck me as powerful and I imagined the Library of Congress on fire and watching the whole nation's history sink to ashes because that's how I felt. But then I remembered watching the sun rise from the metro ride to the airport. I could see the Capitol Building, the Washington Monument, the tips of the towers of an Empire. Then I could see the slums, the dirty buildings, and the litter while going over a polluted river. I realized that the sun rises over everybody, not just those in power, or those in need, but everybody. The sun is our father, and he lights up everybody. He helps all of us grow.
My grandfather worked for all of his people and all of his family in hopes that one day the nation wouldn't be so divided. With his life, my grandfather had taught me more than any library could ever hold. Even though he couldn't leave every single one of us with all of his stories, his knowledge, his experiences, and his wisdom, he left us bits and pieces in every one of us. He gave us an opportunity to come together to share in his love and his memory. He built a nation with all of us. I don't think it was a coincidence that I was in Washington DC when I heard, he knew I was there. He knew where we all were. He emphasized educaiton, exploration, and the importance of bringing all of that back home. I wanted to share this sorty to continue that legacy, and to continue our stories. By the time I landed in Albuquerque I had learned a lot from my reflections of his experiences, and I hope that we all can give thought to and celebrate his life. Ahe'hee shi Chei, ayoo anishni. (accents needed)

Stefanie Tsosie
Granddaughter of Wilson Chee Skeet
Daughter of Rena Skeet
Baa haa lii, New Mexico (accents needed)

No comments: